Tuesday, April 2, 2013

15 Stories Project: How I became famous in 1997.

Everyone wants to know what happened next (in regards to the Mr. Grey the Goldsmith story)...

Well, the drama with Mr. Grey the Goldsmith was over. I never saw him again after that fatal day and have recently found out, through the grapevine, that he is no longer making jewelry due to a medical condition. Despite our tumultuous end, this saddens me because he really was a master at his craft.

To continue...
A month after the firing/resignation at Mr. Grey the Goldsmith's, I became famous...

HAHAHAHA! Well, I didn't exactly became famous, but I had an incredible press opportunity fall into my lap. I had a full feature article written about me in the jewelry trade magazine Lapidary Journal (now known as Lapidary Journal-Jewelry Artist)
January 1997 - Lapidary Journal
January 1997 - Lapidary Journal 
I was still working for Mr. Grey the Goldsmith when I received a call from Lapidary Journal (sometime in 1996). They said wanted to write a feature article about my work and was told a journalist would soon contact me for an interview and a meeting. I was speechless but inside my head I was thinking, "What?! Me? A whole article about ME?" I had been in business part time for less than two years...HOW and WHY did they want to write about ME?!!? I can't rightly recall but I'm sure I hung up the phone on that that day and jumped up and down with excitement!

The writer, Cathleen McCarthy called me and we arranged to meet at a local craft show. I was excited and nervous while she "played" with my kinetic jewelry. Later, she called me for the phone interview. I was really nervous for this and so afraid I was going to sound like a total idiot.

The article was published in January 1997---a few weeks after I lost my job with Mr. Grey the Goldsmith and a few weeks before I started my next (and last) full time job working for another jeweler. (That story may be next!)

Today, Cathleen McCarthy publishes her own blog/on-line magazine for jewelry lovers, The Jewelry Loupe. She also continues to write for Lapidary Journal-Jewelry Artist, as well many other publications.

No comments: